Pancake Rocks

Pancake Rocks
Punakaiki

Thursday, September 11, 2008

3, 2, 1, Bungeee

As navigator I began to get a little suspicious when Doug did not ask for directions once we got to Taupo. He was here in Feb 2007 with Sarah Freeman visiting the Te Toki house (note the Cultural Blog). I checked the map and soon realized that our first stop this time would be Taupo Bungy, a cantilevered platform 47 metres over the Waikato River. While here with Sarah he did not jump (but she did) because he wanted to wait and do it with me. I was not yet convinced that this was something I had to do to make my life complete. It was a beautiful day and the setting over a bend in the river was stunning.
After much soul searching and self-convincing (I paced around the top of the area for about 15 minutes – luckily it was not very crowded). I decided literally to take the plunge despite my not being particularly comfortable with heights. Doug very judiciously kept his distance to let me make up my own mind. Once committed, I told Doug I would go first. We plunked down our money (well, ran the plastic through the machine), emptied our pockets, stood on the scale, had our weight (in kg) written on our hand, and then I walked out onto the platform with the two operators.
They checked my weight again and asked how far down I wanted to go. They have touch water option that I was not interested in. As I sat there,

they explained all the safety procedures and how to jump, well actually fall, off the platform. Once my ankles were strapped in, I stood, shuffled to the edge, smiled for the camera, and the operator said “3, 2, 1, Bungeee.” I did not move. I told her to try the countdown again. The second “3, 2, 1, Bungeee” worked.

I did a perfect swan dive off the platform











and kept my eyes open watching the water rush up at me. It was a fantastic feeling to trust the huge rubber band around my ankles – really quite a rush. After bouncing several times I was lowered into the boat and motored over to the base of the trail.












I was so full of adrenalin that I charged back up the trail. Doug was relieved to see my wide grin at the top of the trail. He would live for now. And next it was his turn. No backing out now!

He had no qualms so he took off on the first “3,2,1 Bungeee.”
He had chosen the touch water option and frustratingly got to within centimetres of the surface. My vantage point from the top was not as good as his so I didn’t see him bounce. But I did get to see his video at the shop. If you ever bungy jump, be sure to tuck your shirt in.

If you ever want to observe someone facing their fears, ask to see my video. I can now say “been there, done that, and even have the t-shirt to prove it.” Why live on the edge if you can jump off?








No comments: